I used an offcut of curtain fabric (bought for £1.50 – still have quite a bit left over too!) and modified the winter coat pattern to get this spring jacket.
To modify my winter coat pattern, I changed the shape of the sleeves – they are still slightly gathered at the sleeve top but are not puff sleeves – they are one piece.
I also modified the opening to make it single-breasted and I changed the neckline so that there are no longer lapels. Instead I added a very simple straight collar. I thought it would look a bit oriental and would suit the fabric that I had.
You may also notice that there is a bit more fabric in the skirt. I cut that piece quite a lot longer than for the winter coat project. I then added pleats all the way around the back and side, so that it is pretty frilly – I thought it would stand out a bit more this way and would look really cute for a short jacket (which I think it does!!).
To finish I covered metal buttons with the same fabric as the jacket. I didn’t line this one as it is meant to be a lighter jacket for the warmer months. I did add a healthy dose of zig-zag stitich to all my raw edges though.
I wasn’t planning to make these coat patterns available for download as I hope the guide to making the winter coat will be enough for anyone to draft a similar verison. If there is a lot of demand I may be persuaded to size these properly and stick them into one pattern bundle. I’m thinking about it – the pieces could be mixed and matched between the two coats. Check back – I may do this if I can find time. Ellie’s first birthday is fast approaching so all my creative focus is on sweet little party dresses at the minute
- Victoriana inspired winter baby coat Here are finished pictures of the winter coat project. So...